The Support Fund is designed to assist persons with spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus with the cost of adapted equipment, medical equipment, services such as adapted lessons or camps and emergency personal expenses directly resulting from the fact that the person has spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus.
Take Note of Recent Changes:
RECEIPTS that are submitted need to be from the fiscal year that you are applying to the Support Fund in. In order to be eligible for reimbursement, ALL RECEIPTS need to be in before the January 31st end to our fiscal year! For example, a February 2019 receipt needs to be submitted with a support fund application before the January 2019 Board Meeting at the very latest. Thank you.
Receipts will no longer be accepted for adapted programming fee reimbursement or adapted equipment. The SBHANA will only accept AN INVOICE from the organization that you are doing your adapted sport/recreational programming with. We can no longer reimburse individuals for paying the programming fees.
High level sport programs are no longer covered by the SBHANA Support Fund as of March 2019
There is a limit of a maximum of $500 of the $1000 per year will be paid for adapted sport and recreational programming or adaptive equipment. Only equipment that is assertive and supportive will be considered. IE: an adaptation to the sled to ensure that the individuals equipment supports the adapted needs of their body. As of February 2020
The Support Fund provides support for the following type of expenses:
Expenses for adapted equipment or services, which are necessities or make life more pleasant, and would not be required if the person did not have spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus.
- Emergency personal expenses such as travel expenses from out of town when a person with spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus is hospitalized. This would also cover the rental of specialized equipment due to an emergency (e.g. special wheelchair, ramp, etc.)
- Incidental or one-time personal expenses for adults with spina bifida that are required to maximize their independence in the areas of self-care, productivity and leisure.
- Registration fees for Camp Freedom, supporting any individual with spina bifida between the ages of 12-19 years interested in attending this camp hosted by the SBHANA. Individuals will be strongly encouraged to first approach their local association (where applicable) for financial assistance.
- Adapted Recreational fees and adapted equipment to facilitate healthy active living.
- The Support Fund will NOT reimburse individual members for adapted sporting equipment and/or sporting/recreational fees. An invoice from the organization or business is required to facilitate the grant process.
- he Support Fund DOES NOT cover fees for elite or national level sport programming such as Provicnial or National Team.
- There is a limit of a maximum of $500 of the $1000 per year will be paid for adapted sport and recreational programming or adaptive equipment. Only equipment that is assertive and supportive will be considered. IE: an adaptation to the sled to ensure that the individuals equipment supports the adapted needs of their body.
This fund does not cover expenses which would be covered by Alberta Aids to Daily Living (AADL), Family Supports for Children with Disabilities (FSCD), private/public medical insurance, Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH), or any other government programs.
- A member in good standing of the Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus Association of Northern Alberta.
- A resident of Northern Alberta (defined as the area north of Red Deer or the North – West Territories (With the exception of those applying for registration fees for Camp Freedom Any individual with spina bifida between the ages of 12 – 19 years may apply
- Volunteer Support – a member claiming under the Support Fund are required to make a commitment of volunteer time to support the SBHANA where possible. The SBHANA has a variety of volunteer opportunities such as: SBHANA Board Member, Casino Volunteer, Race Committee Volunteer, Event Day Volunteers, Seek out Donations and Sponsorship for the All Abilities Walk, Run & Roll Event.
- A Funding Request Form must be completed and signed by the Applicant or Guardian. A description of the item and the original receipt and quote (and required copies) must be provided to the association for their records.
Members claiming under this fund are strongly encouraged to make a commitment of volunteer time to support the SBHANA where possible.
Applications will be considered at the meetings of the Board of Directors. Please be advised that there are no meetings in July, August or December.
Funds will be paid out based on receipts or paid directly to the supplier. Invoices from organizations that you are doing adapted recreational programming with MUST be provided as a cheque cannot be written out to reimburse an individual for this type of expense.
- Members should shop around for the best deal just as they would for their own purchases
- Members who receive equipment that is substantially paid for by the SBHANA are asked to consider recycle used equipment so other members can benefit.
- The fund will NOT pay the AADL annual deductible. Exceptions may be made for adults with spina bifida who demonstrate financial need.
- There is a limit of $ 1000 paid in support of each individual with spina bifida per annum.
- Members may apply more than once to the support fund within each fiscal year.
- Cases where the GST brings the total over $ 1000, the board will determine if GST will be paid on each case individually.
- The overall budget for the support fund is $ 20,000 each fiscal year, subject to annual review.
- The name on each support fund request will be revealed to the board, but will remain confidential and not be included in the minutes.
- The SBHANA and the SBHANA Board of Directors do not endorse products or services, and is not to be held liable for any personal or property damage caused by the product or service funded.
- The SBHANA is NOT responsible for repairs to the product.
- Members claiming under this fund are strongly encouraged to make a commitment of volunteer time to support the SBHANA where possible.
- Funds will be paid out based on receipts, invoices and/or quotes will be paid directly to the supplier or organization.
- Members will NOT be reinbursed for items that have not been previously approved.
- Invoices from organizations that you are doing adapted sporting/recreational programming with MUST be provided as a cheque cannot be written out to reimburse an individual for this type of expense.All funds must be disbursed within six (6) months of approval by the board.
- Only adapted equipment and services purchased after the member has joined the SBHANA are covered
- Members should recognize that the SBHANA may not be able to meet all requests and should apply before committing to any purchase
***Please note that the SBHANA Board meets on the 3rd Wednesday of the month. Please submit your support fund application by the 2nd Friday of the month in order to have your application considered at that month’s board meeting. Thank you!