The Support Fund is designed to assist persons with spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus with the cost of specialized leisure and recreational equipment, medical equipment, services such as specialized lessons or camps and emergency personal expenses directly resulting from the fact that the person has spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus.
• The Applicant must be a member in good standing of the SBHANA.
• A resident of Northern Alberta.
• The Applicant should have a minimum of five (5) volunteer hours with the association over the past two (2) years, where possible.
• A Funding Request Form must be completed and signed by the Applicant or Guardian. A description of the item and the original receipt (and required copies) must be provided to the association for their records.
The maximum allowable amount is $1,000.00 per member per calendar year (Jan 31 to Feb 1).
Take Note of Recent Changes:
RECEIPTS that are submitted need to be from the fiscal year that you are applying to the Support Fund in. In order to be eligible for reimbursement, ALL RECEIPTS need to be in before the January 31st end to our fiscal year! For example, a February 2019 receipt needs to be submitted with a support fund application before the January 2019 Board Meeting at the very latest. Thank you.
Also, receipts will no longer be accepted for adapted programming fee reimbursement. The SBHANA NEEDS AN INVOICE from the organization that you are doing your adapted recreational programming with. We can no longer reimburse individuals for paying the programming fees.
High level sport programs are no longer covered by the SBHANA Support Fund as of March 2019
Types of Expenses:
Expenses for equipment or services, which are necessities or make life more pleasant, and would not be required if the person did not have spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus.
Emergency personal expenses such as travel expenses from out of town when a person with spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus is hospitalized. This would also cover the rental of specialized equipment due to an emergency (e.g. special wheelchair, ramp, etc.)
Incidental or one-time personal expenses for adults with spina bifida that are required to maximize their independence in the areas of self-care, productivity and leisure.
- Registration fees for Camp Freedom, supporting any individual with spina bifida between the ages of 12-19 years interested in attending this camp hosted by the SBHANA. Individuals will be strongly encouraged to first approach their local association (where applicable) for financial assistance.
Recreational fees and equipment to facilitate healthy active living. *We cannot reimburse individual members for adapted recreational fees – We will need an invoice from the organization that you are registering for programming with and the cheque will be written out to that organization.
- The Support Fund does not cover program fees to high level sport programming; such as team Alberta.
This fund does not cover expenses which would be covered by Alberta Aids to Daily Living (AADL), Family Supports for Children with Disabilities (FSCD), private/public medical insurance, Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH), or any other government programs.
- A member in good standing with the Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus Association of Northern Alberta.
- A resident of Northern Alberta or the North West Territories (With the exception of those applying for registration fees for Camp Freedom. Any individual with spina bifida and/ between the ages of 12-19 years may apply).
Members claiming under this fund are strongly encouraged to make a commitment of volunteer time to support the SBHANA where possible.
*Applications will be considered at the meetings of the Board of Directors. Please be advised that there are no meetings in July, August or December. Funds will be paid out based on receipts or paid directly to the supplier. Invoices from organizations that you are doing adapted recreational programming with MUST be provided as a cheque cannot be written out to reimburse an individual for this type of expense.
- Members should shop around for the best deal just as they would for their own purchases.
- Members who receive equipment that is substantially paid for by the SBHANA are asked to consider recycling used equipment so other members can benefit.
- The fund will NOT pay the AADL annual deductible. Exceptions may be made for adults with spina bifida who demonstrate financial need.
- There is a limit of $1,000.00 paid in support of each individual with spina bifida per annum. Members may apply more than once to the support fund within each fiscal year.
- Cases where the GST brings the total over $1,000.00, the board will determine if GST will be paid on each case individually.
- The overall budget for the support fund is $20,000.00 each fiscal year, subject to annual review.
- The name on each support fund request will be revealed to the board, but will remain confidential and not be included in the minutes.
- The SBHANA does not endorse products or services, and is not to be held liable for any personal or property damage caused by the product or service funded. Neither is the SBHANA responsible for repairs to the product.
- Members claiming under this fund are strongly encouraged to make a commitment of volunteer time to support the SBHANA where possible.
***Please note that the SBHANA Board meets on the 3rd Wednesday of the month. Please submit your support fund application by the 2nd Friday of the month in order to have your application considered at that month’s board meeting. Thank you!